The Valdemaran Herald
The Valdemaran Herald is the newsletter of the Vanyel Fan Club, an official chapter of Queen's Own. The chapter is devoted to fans of Herald-Mage Vanyel Ashkevron from The Last Herald-Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.
Each issue features:
- Letter from the editors
- Latest news from Misty
- Articles of Interest: Do you have a favorite topic that relates to Misty’s work and Vanyel’s time? Have you come across some real-world information that you think should be shared with other members of the Vanyel Fan Club? Articles should be under 1000 words and include a reference listing for readers to follow up on the story.
- Fan Fiction: Characters should stay in the present day time and use an alternate time-line in which Kris doesn't die but staggers into camp after Talia’s rescue. Northern Barbarians must use a time-line after the founding of k'Valdemar. Priests and Priestesses must stick to the portion of the time-line after Solaris has become the Son of the Sun. For complete fan fiction rules, please see the Queen's Own website. Every time you write a story based on Misty's stories, you need to file a release form with High Flight.
- Fan Art: Accepting fan art from all of Misty’s works, not just The Last Herald-Mage (LHM). No release form required.
- Poetry: Accepting all poems that relate to Misty, LHM and life in general. Poems should be under 1 page in length. No relase form required for poems.
- Recipes: Do you have original recipes or recipes you’ve adapted for use at home? Send us your favorites. Please, no reprints of recipes found in magazines, on-line or in books.
- Member news: Do you have good news to share? Will also accept interesting stories from members that relate to the club or Misty.
- Reader’s Corner: Do you have any good books you think Misty fans would enjoy. Submit a short review (100 words or less). Please include the book’s title, author’s full name, and publishing company.
- Writer’s Corner: Do you have any words of wisdom or book recommendations for aspiring writers? Short essays of 500 words or less and reading lists will be accepted. Please, no reprints from magazines, webzine articles or books.
- Convention, Fair and Festival Info: Convention, fair and festival listings for all states/countries. Do you have a convention report you’d like to submit? Please keep reports to 500 words or less and include a link to the events website, if one is available.
Submissions for the newsletter can be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions should be part of the e-mail body or attached as a MS Word file. I have Office 2000, so I can read most older file types. If you’re not sure, please save as a text (.txt) or rich text format (.rtf).
Deadline dates are:
November 30 (for the January issue)
February 28 (for the April issue)
May 31 (for the July issue)
August 31 (for the October issue)
Publication months are:
Newsletters are published quarterly on (or near) the first of the month.
The Vanyel Fan Club is an approved chapter of Queen's Own, the official Mercedes Lackey Appreciation Society. Our purpose is to share our enjoyment of Misty's worlds, especially The Last Herald-Mage trilogy and Herald-Mage Vanyel Ashkevron. We are a fan-run, not-for-profit organization, not a business. Our address of publication is: 4108 Esters Rd., Apt. 270, Irving, TX 75038.
The Valdemaran Herald is an electronic newsletter only. You must be a member of the Vanyel Fan Club to receive each issue. Internet users may maintain one electronic copy and one print copy of the file for use by members of the user's household. Permission to otherwise duplicate or "lend" any of these files without the credited author's written consent is expressly denied. This newsletter is published solely to inform and entertain the club's membership; no infringement of anyone's copyrights is intended.
All drawings in this newsletter are ©copyright to the credited artist. All rights reserved. If you would like your art to be featured in The Valdemaran Herald, send .gifs or .jpgs to email@example.com